Thursday, March 29, 2012

heart vs. brain


ubiquitous hibiscus
photo courtesy of thanker212
There are days in life when you pause and say, "Really?"  Or perhaps your vernacular sounds more like mine and it is, "What the heck are you doing?"

Those days seem to be cropping up more often recently and I figured it is about time that I just flat out say that they do crop up.  Now before you get your knickers in a twist, I'm not having a crisis of faith.  I can quote Romans 8:28 "...all things work together for good..." and Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you...." until I'm blue in the face.  I KNOW in my heart that God is good, but sometimes my brain blocks it out and asks Him again, "Are you sure you've got this, because I'm not sure?"

And you know what?  I think it's okay.
Actually, I think God welcomes my questions.

He doesn't promise to answer them the way I want him to or the way in which I think He should, but he does promise to let me ask.  Hebrews 4:16 says, "Let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

We can boldly approach God's throne, crawl up into his lap and ask the hard questions.  Fire away.
However, there are those days.

I remember once asking my mother a question and her answer was, "We'll discuss it when you're older."

I hated that answer.  It made me so angry and yet, today I still get that same answer, but this time, it's from God.  There are the times that I ask Him a question that I feel I will burst if I don't get the answer, but He gently tells me that we will discuss it when I am older--at a later date.

God knows that I can't wrap my head or my heart around what He's doing right now.  By human standards I think he is mental at times, but He knows that and in His mercy he doesn't ask me to understand.  He asks that I trust.  That daily, I choose to trust.  I choose to stay.  I choose to follow.

My head might not be able to explain it, but my heart, where He has taken root, knows its way home.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

statcounter