Monday, January 30, 2012

ready, set, start.









Poised, hunched, bulging, waiting for the moment, the moment to lurch forward into the fray. The moment they've been anticipating for years. Years. The bullet explodes from the barrel as hammer meets steel and combustion occurs. Gates burst open and heaving muscles pelt into the foray of dirt and dust, jockey and sweat.
Run.
Run hard, run long, don't give up.
Give it your all.

 Many times writing is like that. We prepare, prepare, prepare for years and yet that moment when the bullet explodes takes only a millisecond of our lives. The remainder of the time is spent chasing down the dream; getting to the finish line.

We are all at different places on our journey as writers. I'm trying to get myself into the starting gate so that the gun can be fired. Until all the horses are in place--the gun can't go off. I think I'm at the point where I'm at the starting gate, but I'm stalling. I'm the jockey choking up on the reins, pressing leathery heels into metal stirrups, wrapping my fingers around that extra lock of scratch mane waiting for that first jolt of the race...but I need to just get going already. 

Where are you on your writing journey? 

Wherever you are, this community of writers would so enjoy reading something you've written. It can really be anything. If you're up to it, you can also link up to help encourage each other to practice the art of writing by committing to (try) write 300 words on four out of the next seven days.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

statcounter