Wednesday, December 14, 2011

first Christmas

In just a few short days I'll be celebrating Christmas around here for the first time as a single mom.  In many ways it looks the same as it has in years past; in others it looks entirely different.

This season I'm learning to say "Yes" more and "No" less.  No, no, it's not what you think.  It's not stemming from guilt.  The only guilt around here is that I let MYSELF eat more cookies than I should have.  We decorated the tree this evening even though I wasn't really in the mood.  Even so, the kids were chomping at the bit to get it decorated and who was I to stand in the way?

Lovely Pandora played Christmas carols in the background and my five year old took it upon herself to "thumbs-up" every song she liked, which has now forever messed up my Pandora preferences and I will be listening to the Chipmunks for the duration of Christmas 2011.  Oh well.  We only broke one ornament and thankfully it was one that I really don't remember where it came from and it was too generic to be of any real value.

As a child I always lamented that our tree looked so mismatched, but this year I enjoyed carefully unwrapping the ornaments and telling them where they came from.  We have ornaments from all over the world on our tree and it was fun to watch the kids oooh and aaaah over them.  Later this week I will be posting some of my favorite ornaments and their stories.  For now I will leave you with a picture and a question.

Question:  Do you have a themed Christmas tree or is it more of an amalgamation of various kiddie craft projects like ours?


null

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

statcounter