Saturday, January 28, 2012

in which I share a life-altering secret

In real life I have a bit of a reputation for reading a bit.  Ok, truthfully, a lot.  I also write this here blog, have four kids, am a single mom, and work from home as a medical transcriptionist.  At least once a week I have a fellow mom/close friend/family member look at me with creased brows and distorted face and say some variation of the following:
How do you find time?
You must have more hours in your day than I do.
I don't know how you find time to read/blog/sleep etc.

So today I'm going to share my life-altering, mind-blowing secrets for adding hours of leisurely reading into my day.  
PSYCH!
No really.
I have twenty-four hours just like you.

My kids are maniacs and I wonder if they are going to someday run into a wall and instead of bouncing off it, go right through it.  
How do I find time to read and blog and keep a house and parent my kids and do the other 4500 things that are expected of me?

I don't.
Yep, it's simple.

I read because it keeps me sane.  If I don't read I start to get really cranky and cranky mommies and crazy toddlers don't mesh, so I do what keeps me from getting cranky--I read.  Sometimes that might mean that a blog post doesn't get written or perhaps I don't watch the latest episode of The Bachelor (stop gasping, you know you secretly wanted Shawntele to get a rose just to add to the drama too) or rent a movie.

Life is about choices.  I only have so much "free" time in the day and I have to use my discretion to decide which activity will best suit me.  Most of the time it's reading.  Sometimes it's writing.  It's rarely watching TV, but sometimes it is.

A few weeks ago I read a blog post by Jon Acuff about disappointing the right people and I took it to heart.  After God, my kids are the most important people in the world.  I don't want to disappoint them or hurt them in any way, so I'm learning to say "no".  That two letter word is one of the most powerful you will ever say.  Unless of course you are saying it to your two year old who is smearing sour cream all over the wall.  In that case she will just turn and chortle at you as she adds to her masterpiece.  (True story)

Learning to say "no" and being willing to disappoint those outside of my nuclear family has given me the freedom to enjoy my true loves and hobbies, such as reading.  I will also add that I dovetail reading while walking on the treadmill.  It can be somewhat treacherous, but hey, I like to walk on the wild side.

What hobby can you not live without?

How do you find time to get it all done?

and most importantly,

did you watch this week's episode of the bachelor yet?

Just kidding.
No, really.

clock source: etsy.com via Camille on Pinterest


linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

statcounter